Friday, August 26, 2011

Once upon a time in Afghanistan

‘Given the images people see on TV, many conclude Afghanistan never made it out of the Middle Ages. But that is not the Afghanistan I remember. I grew up in Kabul in the 1950s and ’60s. Stirred by the fact that news portrayals of the country’s history didn’t mesh with my own memories, I wanted to discover the truth.

‘Remembering Afghanistan’s hopeful past only makes its present misery seem more tragic. But it is important to know that disorder, terrorism, and violence against schools that educate girls are not inevitable. I want to show Afghanistan’s youth of today how their parents and grandparents really lived.’

- Mohammad Qayoumi

A phonograph record shop

Afghan Girl Scouts


Remembering Afghanistan has many more photos of an Afghanistan that once was.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures. Pure fantasy though and I suppose some people get a kick out of a time that never was...a little tragic.

Spare a thought for the reality of Afghanistan today...this is real and what is more of a tragedy are some who do nothing in reality to correct it. That is not a tragedy... that is sad and is a hell that I would not want to be part of as they cannot help themselves (or others).