Many entrepreneurs and leaders come and go without passing on what made them great. Here is a list of those remarkable businessmen and women who decided to tell their life's story and impart their wisdom, from Ash to Welch.
• Mary Kay: Miracles Happen by Mary Kay Ash Mary Kay Ash, founder of Mary Kay Cosmetics: The woman behind the hugely successful cosmetics company talks about her life, her work, and how to sell.
• Let My People Go Surfing: The Education of a Reluctant Businessman by Yvon Chouinard The bohemian executive, and founder of Patagonia, talks about creating the company, making profit responsibly, and creating an enjoyable company culture.
• Direct from Dell: Strategies that Revolutionized an Industry by Michael Dell and Catherine Fredman A look at how Dell grew the small PC company into an industry powerhouse.
• Iacocca: An Autobiography by Lee Iacocca with William Novak The legendary car exec on growing up during WWII, starting at the car company, and the success he created there.
• Confessions of an Advertising Man by David Ogilvy The famous ad man on how he got into the advertising business and the moves he made there.
• The HP Way: How Bill Hewlett and I Built Our Company by David Packard The cofounder of Hewlett Packard answers these questions and more: How was the company founded? How was it named? And how did he help create a company that promotes creativity?
• Body and Soul: Profits with Principles, the Amazing Success Story of Anita Roddick & the Body Shop by Anita Roddick The founder of The Body Shop tells readers how she created her business and how she instilled it with social responsibility.
• Pour Your Heart into It: How Starbucks Built a Company One Cup at a Time by Howard Schultz and Dori Jones Yang The coffee king looks at how he joined the company, decided on a new direction, and implemented the bold expansion.
• Sam Walton, Made in America: My Story by Sam Walton and John Huey The retail giant relates how he grew the company, until he'd conquered the world.
• Father, Son & Co.: My Life at IBM and Beyond by Thomas J. Watson and Peter Petre Here's the President of IBM on the global company's history, growth, and strategies.
• Jack: Straight from the Gut by Jack Welch and John A. Byrne The revered executive shares the story of how he started at GE, and how he shaped it into the behemoth it has become.
Read more from Leadership Hall of Fame.
(Via Fast Company.)