Friday, February 20, 2009

Handy Phrases for your Visit to Borneo


Phrases you are likely to need in Borneo, to judge from a phrasebook distributed in 1966 by the Borneo Literature Bureau:



  • Wait while I remove these leeches.

  • I have been bitten by sand flies.

  • There are too many rats.

  • There are a lot of mosquitoes here.

  • The cockroaches have eaten my shirt.

  • Is this poisonous?

  • What made that noise?

  • Is Sibu Laut in a swamp?

  • Is there a taboo on your house?

  • Is the burning finished?

  • Where can I defecate?

  • Is that fish dangerous?

  • This floor is not safe.

  • The roof is leaking.

  • There is no room in this boat.

  • We must keep dry.

  • I can't come for a time because the monsoon will soon start.

  • She has a bad pain/snakebite/gunshot wound.

  • Tear some clean cloth into strips.

  • Keep him warm.

  • Go quickly for help.

  • This vomiting needs urgent treatment.

  • I do not know what is wrong. You must take her to the clinic.

  • Your eyes need treatment, or you will become blind.

No comments: