Thursday, February 03, 2005

Marin County SMS Ask-a-Librarian: 63 inquiries first month

From LibrarianInBlack.net

My library launched our Instant Messaging Reference service January 3rd. We staff the desk from 3-5, Monday-Friday, and anytime I happen to be at my desk (which isn't that often anymore).

In our first month of offering this service, we answered 63 questions!

This is an impressive showing, and it makes me glad we did as much publicity for it as we did. I'm guessing our usage will only grow from here, which could become a staffing issue in the future. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. For now, glasses raised and cheers!

A huge thanks to the five librarians who have worked tirelessly with me to start this service up and to staff it. I won't mention names (unless you guys want me to), but you know who you are, and thank you!

No comments: