I am fortunate to be associated with the Florida Disabled Outdoors Association. They have just launched their Twitter account and they need followers. I suspect there will be less than two or three posts per day, but a larger following would help them immensely with funding requests.
Please follow at: FDOA7 It would mean a lot to me personally if you would give them a hand and pass it on! Thanks to you all!
Since it’s inception in 1990, the FDOA has promoted accessible recreation to persons with disabilities as well as the general public through special events, newsletters and community education.
The FDOA has been instrumental in many successful projects and programs with agencies that include:
- U.S. Fish and wildlife Service – accessibility training for wildlife refuge managers from fifteen states.
- Saint Marks Wildlife Refuge – designed and implemented mobility impaired hunting program and FDOA volunteers host the event every year; consulted for design of courtesy boat dock facility.
- Florida Department of Environment Protection – consulted and assisted in the creation of ADA compliance and self-evaluation program.
- Department of Environmental Protection /Parks and Recreation – assisted in on-site evaluation of all District II State Parks. Served on strategic planning committee; member state park group- users advisory board; ADA committee member for Friends of State Parks.
- Florida Game and Fresh Water Fish Commission – assisted in evaluation and consultation of accessible state boat ramps, assisted in design of accessible fishing facilities; also directly responsible for development and expansion of mobility impaired hunt program.
- Florida Water Management Districts and Eglin Air Force Base – initiated and assisted in development of mobility impaired hunt programs.
- Hands Helping Anglers – as a committee member, expanded fishing derby for disabled anglers, now over fifty per year.
- City of Tallahassee Parks and Recreation – assisted in self-evaluation of city parks and facilities.
- City of Tallahassee Citizens ADA Advisory and Compliance Board- contributed to ADA transition plan