Library Thing has released their first iPhone application, a free application called "Local Books."
Local Books resembles popular dining apps like LocalEats or UrbanSpoon—but for book lovers. It shows you local bookstores, libraries and bookish events wherever you are or plan to be. Local Books is powered by LibraryThing Local, the LibraryThing member-created database of 51,000 bookstores and libraries around the world. Events too are drawn from LibraryThing Local. Notably, since last night we've had a four-fold increase in events, as we started pulling in events from Barnes and Noble, Borders, Waterstones and Indigo/Chapters, as well as IndieBound.
- Search for venues (bookstores and libraries) as well as events near your current location using the iPhone's built-in location features.
- Search for venues and events at any location or by name.
- Venues can be sorted by distance, name, or type.
- Venues are color coded, following the maps on LibraryThing Local (colors correspond to the colors used on maps in LibraryThing Local).
- Each venue has a detail page with a map. Tap it to jump to the iPhone Maps application.
- Venues often sport a description, clickable website and phone number links, events, and a photo.
- You can favorite locations and events, and there's a "Favorites" list where you can find them.