Media futurists have predicted that by 2021, "citizens will produce 50 percent of the news peer-to-peer." However, mainstream news media have yet to meaningfully adopt or experiment with these new forms.
This report details the important considerations when exploring a collaborative effort between audience and traditional media organizations.
1. Introduction to participatory journalism
2. Cultural context: Behind the explosion of participatory media
3. How participatory journalism is taking form
4. The rules of participation
5. Implications for media and journalism
6. Potential benefits of We Media
7. How media might respond